Search This Blog

Sep 22, 2016

Digestive biscuits and plum crumble



The summer holiday is over and we got back to our daily routine and to our healthy recipes.
On Thursday mornings, my younger daughter and I join the International Playgroup (a.k.a. our gang of moms and toddlers). This week I decided to prepare a healthy snack for the kids - some digestive biscuits I've been thinking about for a while.
Well, from the biscuits I ended up making also a plum crumble and the results were so appreciated by my girls that they miraculously vanished within minutes and I had to make another snack for the playgroup.




Ok, I admit, the biscuits were so good next to a foamy cappuccino, that I ate most of them before the girls even woke up from the lunch sleep. 




Ingredients, method and how I got from making biscuits to making plum crumble:
I saw the recipe on this blog and I adapted it to be baby-friendly. So, I used:
- 100g 4 cereal flakes (wheat, oat, barley and and rye) - you can use any cereal flakes;
- 100g wholemeal flour;
- 100g butter;
- 1/2 banana;
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder;
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder;
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder;
- the seeds from 1/2 of a vanilla bean.
I used some of the biscuit mixture to make a plum crumble (see below). For the crumble I used about 10 plums, halved and pitted.

Place the cereal flakes in a food processor and pulse a few times. Add the flour, baking powder and spices and mix well. Cut the cold butter into small cubes, add it to the flour and mix with the fingers
until you get sandy crumbles.
 
While I was mixing the butter and flour, I was thinking that the sandy mixture would be perfect for a crumble. As I had bought some plums that morning, I decided to put the idea into practice.


For the crumble, coat a ceramic pot with butter, place the halved (pitted) plums inside, add some of the sandy mixture on top and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (until the crumbles became golden brown).

For the biscuits, blend half of a banana into a smooth paste and add that over the remaining sandy mixture. Knead well until you get a firm, non-sticky dough. Coat it in plastic foil and place in the fridge for half an hour.


Flatten the cold dough using a rolling pin and cut the biscuits in round shapes, with a glass (alternatively you can use any cookie cutter). Place them in a tray lined with baking paper and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius (or until golden brown). Take the biscuits out of the tray and let them cool on a rack.















In the meantime the crumble has already cooled. Take out halves of plums, pour a Tbsp of yogurt on top of each, add a pinch of cinnamon and they are ready to be served.















Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment